Thursday, August 5, 2010

Alpine Loop Scenic Byway, UT

Definitely the best cycling adventure of the summer. Not only a great workout at 64 miles with 5720' of climbing; but incredible scenery, an unexpected moose encounter, and wacky weather.







We started late to avoid the morning thunderstorms. The afternoon forecast was "sunny and clear - chance of precipitation, 10%." Uh... these certainly aren't sunny skies; but we'd only gotten sprinkled on a tiny bit so far. Our luck would run out soon...
At least I was off the mountain when the skies opened up and poured down rain and pea-sized hail...
Soaking wet, I took shelter in this car port for 1/2 an hour or so. While I was there, Brian called me from a ranger station on the mountain. (He'd done some bonus miles and wound up behind me.) The nice rangers gave him towels to dry off and blankets to stay warm.
When the sun came out, I hit the road. I had a monstrous headwind and could only manage 7 to 8 in the flats. It was pretty scary once I hit Provo Canyon; and once again rain threatened. I pulled off the main highway to look for shelter, and came upon the beautiful Bridal Veil Falls.
Brian called to say he made it down the hill but that it was pouring again. He took shelter in the Harmon's grocery store; where ultimately I picked him up after riding the last 9 or so miles soaking wet in the rain with thunder and lightning all around me. EPIC. EPIC. EPIC. But boy was I happy to get to the van at Deer Creek State Park! What a day!