Sunday, August 1, 2010

Big Cottonwood Canyon to Guardsman Pass

The climb up to Guardsman Pass is considered one of the toughest rides in Utah; so of course we had to conquer it! We started down in Holliday, about 5 miles from the turn onto Big Cottonwood Canyon. Start to summit was 23.5 miles with 4820' of climbing. YOWZA!
We stopped in Brighton for water and a short break before making the final push to Guardsman Pass - an additional 2 miles and 1000+ feet.
No fancy summit sign... But the view was great! Just under 10,000'.
No rewarding descent for me. A mile down from the summit I flatted, and found my rear tire shredded. Fortunately it was Sunday, and there was quite a bit of traffic; so it was easy to hitch a ride down. Nice views even from the back of a pickup truck.
Here's where I waited for Brian to come get me.